WTWO/WAWV is looking for our next News Director. We’re an NBC/ABC duopoly in the heart of the Wabash Valley. This is a great opportunity to grow your management skills. The right candidate will be a compassionate leader with strong mentoring skills. Primary duties include managing the day-to-day operation, training, leading and inspiring the next generation of journalists.
We have a history of making a difference in the community we serve through events like our Top of The Class, Stuff the Bus, and Pack it Back programs. We’re looking for someone eager to get involved in giving back to the community they live in.
The Wabash Valley is seeing a surge of growth. Terre Haute Casino Resort owned by Churchill Downs opens in early 2024. The Mill Event Center and Amphitheater is drawing big names to their concert venue just off the Wabash River. We’re a small city with easy proximity to big ones. Indianapolis is just an hour drive away.
If you’re interested in being part of that growth while leading others, apply using the link above.
The News Director leads and supervises all aspects of news, weather and sports programming as well as Digital Content.
• Manages all aspects of the News Department (other than Production)
• Plans and manages staffing, training, and performance evaluations for the News Department.
• Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees.
• Develops news coverage strategy for the station and its digital platforms.
• Critiques newscasts daily to correct errors, improve coverage and provide mentoring feedback to news staff.
• Assigns projects to staff and verifies that deadlines are being communicated and met.
• Ensures achievement of viewer rating goals.
• Determines programming and evaluation of equipment needs to produce quality programming.
• Responds to coverage questions.
• Works with other senior station leaders to establish and reach station goals.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Three years of news management experience.
• Experience guiding, directing and motivating subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Experience establishing long-range objectives and specifying the strategies and actions to achieve them.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Experience preparing and maintaining departmental budgets.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand employee needs and communicate with a team to shape a solution.