INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (FOX59) – Indiana state health officials confirmed the first case of coronavirus in Indiana.
Gov. Eric Holcomb made the announcement during a news conference Friday. He’s declared a public health emergency in Indiana related to coronavirus and COVID-19.
Indiana State Health Commissioner Kristina Box said the case involved an individual who traveled to Boston and interacted with people who had been exposed to coronavirus. The individual tested positive for the virus.
The individual had developed a low-grade fever, sore throat and cough. He realized he may have been exposed to coronavirus and had been watching for possible symptoms. The man is an adult resident of Marion County and is not in the “highest risk” category.
The individual who tested positive for coronavirus has been staying in quarantine after isolating himself. No other patients or caregivers have been exposed, officials said.
Officials said it was a matter of “when, not if” coronavirus would make it to Indiana. They’ve spent the last few weeks preparing for the eventuality.
Health officials urged Hoosiers to take precautions, reminding them to wash their hands with soap and warm water. They also recommended that people “bump elbows” when greeting each other instead of shaking hands.
Hoosiers who believe they’ve been exposed to coronavirus should call their doctor or local health department to arrange testing.