Terre Haute Hilton Garden Inn evacuated after electrical fire

Top News

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV)– Terre Haute Fire Department responded to an electrical fire around 3 p.m. at the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Terre Haute.

According to the department officials, hotel employees saw smoke inside the building, causing all staff and hotel guests to evacuate the building.

Investigators found an old electrical wire that was shorted outside the building, which caused smoke to filter into the downtown hotel setting off the fire alarm.

Terre Haute Fire Chief, Jeff Fisher, said investigators found no damages to the building.

According to Rick Burger, Community Relations manager for Duke Energy, the smoke came from the company’s underground electric tunnel on Wabash Avenue.

Duke Energy crews are on the scene to repair the wiring and all electricity on Wabash Avenue from Highway 41 to 9th Street near Clabber Girl will be shut off for the next hour.

This is an ongoing incident. Check back for updates.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories