Dropped cigarette blamed for north Terre Haute house fire

Top News

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) — Firefighters at the scene of a Tuesday morning house fire in north Terre Haute told MyWabashValley.com a dropped cigarette was to blame.

An elderly woman was smoking a cigarette at her home on North Sprucewood Street when she dropped it on the floor. She told firefighters that by the time she got her fire extinguisher, the fire was already out of control. She was able to get out of the house without serious injury.

By the time crews arrived, the house was engulfed in flames. According to authorities at the scene, the house was a total loss.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories