UPDATE: Tear gas deployed to bring suspect into custody following 26-hour standoff at Clay County hotel

Top News

CLAY COUNTY, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) — After more than 24 hours, a standoff at a Clay County hotel ended early Friday afternoon with one person in custody on an outstanding warrant and new charges of attempted murder.

According to Sgt. Matt Ames of the Indiana State Police, authorities were attempting to serve a warrant on Shannon Jeffers, 40, of West Terre Haute, who was staying at the Best Western hotel in Clay County Thursday morning.

Jeffers was wanted out of Vigo County on a warrant for violating his probation on a charges including unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon and possession of methamphetamine.

When authorities reached the room Jeffers was staying in, he fired one shot through the door.  Officers then retreated, taking cover. They immediately evacuated all hotel employees and occupants from the hotel for their safety, as well. 

Once this was complete, officers set up a perimeter around the hotel.

Following initial negotiations, two hostages, including one juvenile, were released Thursday afternoon. Ames said the hostages were thought to be acquaintances, not relatives, of Jeffers.

Law enforcement officers deployed several methods including tear gas, flash bangs, pepper balls and other tactical techniques to try to end the standoff. Eventually, authorities removed the door hinges to the hotel room. While these tactical techniques were in use, the suspect continued to fire additional shots towards officers. 

At approximately 12:30 p.m., the suspect peacefully surrendered to the Indiana State Police South SWAT team.

Jeffers spoke with his attorney multiple times Friday before surrendering to authorities.

According to Ames, paramedics examined Jeffers before he was transported to the Clay County Jail. Jeffers was not injured and had no other physical needs. In addition to attempted murder, Jeffers could face additional charges stemming from the standoff.

The hotel received what Ames called mild damage, including flooding in multiple rooms from Jeffers turning on the water.

The additional charges Jeffers faces are attempted murder, criminal confinement, criminal recklessness with a handgun, possession of a handgun by a serious violent felon, possession of paraphernalia, resisting law enforcement, pointing a firearm, possession of marijuana, possession of meth and possession of hypodermic needles.

State Road 59 is now open to traffic.

Assisting were the U.S. Marshals Service, Terre Haute Police Department, Clay County Sheriff’s Department, Indiana State Police Central and South SWAT teams, Posey Township Volunteer Fire Department, Jackson Township Volunteer Fire Department, STAR Ambulance and Clay County Coroner’s Office. 

Continue following MyWabashValley.com for updates.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories