Woman, dog displaced after Sullivan garage fire


SULLIVAN Co., Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) — A woman staying at a home in Sullivan said she’s thankful that she, her dogs, and her neighbors are okay after a garage caught fire on North Main Street.

She said she was gone for no more than an hour before learning the shocking news.

“I was actually at speedway. I had just gotten a beer and I went to go sit in the shade. I was telling someone where I’m staying,” said Sabrina Krentkowski.

According to Krentkowski, it was from talking to the person at Speedway that she found out the house was on fire.

“I got on my bike, I threw my beer and got over here. I was like crying on the way here thinking about my dog. Thank God he’s okay,” she said.

Her dog, named Puppy, was tied on the front porch of the house nearby. Animal Control took the dog into custody since Krentkowski was not home.

According to fire officials, the fire started by accident. Krentkowski said it was from her smoking a cigarette that morning that she thought she put out.

“I died the cigarette out. I saw pants smoking, so I went over to the pants and stepped on it and made sure it was died out. It was definitely from the cigarette,” she said.

The Sullivan fire chief said the flames were under control within 15 minutes and did not spread into the home. However, the back of the home suffered damage.

The garage was completely destroyed.

Officials said no neighboring homes were harmed.

Damages from the fire are currently being estimated.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories