TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV)–Vigo health officials were optimistic about slowing the spread of COVID-19.
But after seeing the largest spike in confirmed cases during the week of Oct. 11, they said they fear the county may have to partially shut back down.
Roni Elder, Vigo Co. Health Educator said in order to keep this from happening, everyone in the community must do their part.
“With the increase in cases that this is an alert for people that they need to continue to be cautious and wear their masks and social distance, wash their hands, all those things that we’ve been saying this whole time, really take that into consideration when you are out and about doing things.”
With mask mandates and social distancing guidelines in place during Stage 5 of Governor Holcomb’s reopening plan, gathering restrictions were lifted and restaurants and bars also reopened at full capacity.
Businesses said moving back in phases could be detrimental.
“Financially, it’s going to affect the owners, the staff depending upon how many steps we do go back. That’ll determine how much it’s going to hurt us. We don’t want to go back to where we have to close our doors and do curbside only,” said Larry Anderson, manager at Sonka’s Irish Pub.
Connie Wrin, Owner of The Verve said she’s doing what she can to safely stay open.
“Social distancing doesn’t happen. I am not going to put my staff at risk by fighting with people. I’m not the police. I encourage face masks. My staff wear masks. But I need to stay open.”
Elder said this set back is disheartening and they hope to slow the spread.
“Four weeks ago we were declining and we’ve just started to increase back up. To have our highest week of the whole pandemic last week is just not where we want to be especially going into cold and flu season and the holiday season. We want to get cases down so that we get comfortable doing things for the holidays,” she said.