VCSC spending cuts on hold as school board has more questions

News

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) – Spending cuts for the Vigo County School Corporation are on hold as the school board still has questions.

In October of last year, Vigo County Schools Superintendent Rob Haworth presented a proposal to cut around $5 million dollars in spending for the corporation.

Through his proposal these cuts would include redesigning alternative education, changing the corporation’s bus replacement plan, and school consolidation.

“When you think about the setting up of a committee to look at school closure, the emotional issues surrounding the closing of schools. That’s not anything to be taken lightly,” Haworth said.

These cuts are pending approval from the Vigo County School Board.

Monday, a vote was expected but it was later postponed as members of the board look for more information.

“We just had a few more questions and so we decided that it was best to make an informed decision,” said Hank Irwin, president of Vigo County School Board.

As the school board comes to a decision, Irwin says they want to make sure they are doing what is best for Vigo County Schools.

“I think we’re going to evaluate everything. I think we just want to make sure that we’re doing what’s best for the students,” Irwin said.

Haworth says in the coming weeks he hopes to provide answers to the questions the school board may have.

“This is something that I don’t know if we’d have unanimous support for but they’re significant. I’m trying to hopefully bring them all the information so that they can make the right answers and hopefully have a unanimous vote on this issue,” Haworth said.

Haworth’s plan calls for spending cuts to be made in three phases and Irwin says the school board could approve cuts phase-by-phase to make way for any changes.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories