Terre Haute home a total loss after suspected grease fire

News

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) — A Terre Haute family watched as the home they lived in for over 30 years became a total loss after a fire Sunday afternoon.

Their neighbor, Darryl Zak, said he was going about his day when he noticed something was wrong.

“I pulled out of my driveway and pulled up in front of the house and I seen smoke coming out of the front door and the back door,” Zak said.

At around 12:41 p.m., the home on Shields Avenue went up in flames.

“It was basically white smoke coming out of the front and then it just turned black. And then the same thing in the back. It was kind of whitish at first and then it just turned black. Then, I just seen a little bit of flames and that’s when I went up to 25th [Street] to flag down the fire department,” said Zak.

According to the Terre Haute Fire Department, they had to travel four blocks to get to a nearby hydrant.

“Of course in this area we always have trouble getting water back in here,” said Battalion Chief Nick Sarris.

Fire officials said one person and four animals were in the home. They all made it out safely.

First responders said they believe that a grease fire caused the damage.

“If it is a grease fire, they happen, they’re dangerous. And of course when we have a fire, the first thing people think is put water on a fire and grease fire. That’s not what you want to do,” Battalion Chief Sarris.

The American Red cross will assist the family and neighbors said they will do what they can.

“It would be nice if everybody can get together if they can and help them out,” Zak said.

Fire officials said the home is a total loss.

Damages are being estimated as they continue to investigate the cause.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss