INDIANAPOLIS — Rural and volunteer fire departments from 46 counties, including several counties in the Wabash Valley, have been awarded more than $297,000 in Volunteer Fire Assistance grants.
The grants, announced by DNR director Cameron Clark, are administered by the DNR Division of Forestry and made available through the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service.
Grants may be used for training, installation of dry hydrants or to purchase necessary firefighting equipment and gear to combat wildland fires.
Fire departments interested in applying for VFA grants should contact Mark Huter, Assistant State Fire Coordinator, Fire Control Headquarters, 6220 Forest Road, Martinsville, Ind. 46151, or call (765) 792-4654.
Fire Departments to receive grants included:
- CLAY: Van Buren Township Vol. Fireman Assn., $4,758, Radios
- DAVIESS: Elnora Elmore Township VFD, $5,000, Safety
- GREEN: Beech Creek Township Eastern FD, $4,300, Safety
- GREEN: Center-Jackson Fire Territory, $5,000, Safety
- PARKE: Adams Township Fire Dept., $5,000, Radios
- PARKE: Bridgeton VFD, $5,000, Safety
- PARKE: J.U.G.A. VFD, $5,000, Safety
- SULLIVAN: Hymera Jackson Township Fire Dept., $2,438, Radios
- VERMILLION: Black Diamond, $2,780.00, Radios