VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) – Students and staff at Rio Grande Elementary School started off their Friday morning in the dark.
A break in an electrical line at the school caused a power outage that required aid from Duke Energy and lasted from about 7:45 until 11 am.
Battery powered halogen light poles were set in the darkest areas of the building, while classrooms with external windows had a decent amount of light.
Teachers were able to get creative and embrace the situation by encouraging students to make potato lights.
“Our teachers and principals really roll with the punches on stuff like this. They’re creative and they make sure the kids are still learning,” said Bill Riley, Director of Communications for the Vigo County School Corporation. “I think that’s the big thing, we have the resources to make sure school can still happen.”
Students were served a sack breakfast and lunch, and once the power was back on teachers were able to continue their normal schedule.