TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) — The Vigo County Prosecutor’s Office identified the name of the 17-year-old male suspect in the July 23 shooting of a 15-year-old Terre Haute girl Thursday and announced he will be charged as an adult in court.
According to a probable cause affidavit, Cody Scherb, 17, Terre Haute, was inside of the gas station at 13th and Poplar streets when the shooting occurred. 15-year-old Chloe Carroll of Terre Haute, was shot around 12:30 a.m. on July 23 in the parking lot of the Hoosier Pete Mini Mart. Carroll was taken to Union Hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Scherb was taken into custody that day and had on a backpack and a black pouch that court documents say had a Springfield Armory handgun inside. Court documents say after calling the gun’s owner, police learned it had been stolen from a man’s car while it was parked outside of his home a few weeks prior.
“He was questioned in regard to the shooting and had a backpack on him. His mother and him consented to it being searched and found a firearm in the backpack, it was later determined that firearm was stolen.” Vigo County Prosecutor Terry Modesitt said.
Officials say they are investigating how Carroll and Scherb knew each other.
“At this point in the investigation, it does not reflect he (Scherb) was the shooter.” Modesitt added.
The 17-year-old is now facing charges of theft of a firearm and dangerous possession of a firearm, which are both felonies, in Vigo County Superior Court 6.
Under state law, statutes are in place regarding when a juvenile can be filed into an adult court if they are under 18 or, depending on age, a waiver can be requested.
“Mr. Scherb was 17 years old, so under statute, we could directly file. That means we don’t have to get anybody’s permission if he commits certain offenses that are in statute. One of those is dangerous possession of a firearm.” Modesitt said.
According to court documents, Scherb had been previously adjudicated as a juvenile for dangerous possession of a firearm.
Investigative efforts are focusing on the moments leading up to Carroll’s death. Modesitt adds they suspect six to eight people were on the scene at the time of the incident, most of which were juveniles.
“That’s what you want to do in any case. You try to recreate the whole thing to find out as much detail, so you can put the pieces together as far as why this happened, when it happened, how it happened, who all was involved and who may be able to give us valuable evidence concerning what may have happened.” Modesitt said.
More search warrants have been obtained as more people of interest are identified.
“We figure there’s going to be more evidence within the next coming days for sure. This is far from over.” Modesitt said.
Police have confirmed a 15-year-old male was also taken into custody July 23 on charges of murder, attempted murder, aggravated battery, criminal recklessness and possession of a firearm without a license in connection with the murder. At this time, the male suspect’s name has not been released and it is unclear if he will be tried as an adult or juvenile.