Phone charger cord likely cause of Thursday morning house fire


Investigators believe a phone charger cord is to blame for a house fire Thursday.

The blaze started around 11 a.m. at 220 Sullyway Ct. in Sullivan. When crews arrived, they saw heavy smoke coming from the back of the house.

According to the Sullivan Fire Chief Rob Robertson, a resident was charging her phone in the back bedroom, with the cord on top of the bed.

Investigators believe the phone cord either got hot or shorted out, causing the fire.

The resident tried to put out the fire with a blanket, but the flames got out of control.

Everyone escaped, and no one was hurt.

“Just let everybody know if this was the cause of the phone chargers, everyone needs to remember not to leave their phone chargers plugged in when they’re not charging, leave them on the bed because they will catch fire,” said Chief Robertson

The fire damage was mostly contained to the back bedroom,  but some areas suffered smoke and water damage.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories