Paris woman dies of carbon monoxide poisoning

News

PARIS, Ill. (WTWO/WAWV) — The Edgar County coroner, Scott Barrett, ruled the death of 70-year-old Marcella A. Bright, of Paris, as carbon monoxide toxicity.

Authorities found Bright in her home Saturday afternoon following a welfare check. A friend of Bright’s told authorities they were concerned after not being able to reach Bright and saw her through the window of her home unresponsive in her bed.

After the call, police forced entry into Bright’s home, an investigation was conducted that concluded, when Bright came home the evening before her death, she failed to turn her car ignition off in the garage attached to the home. The vehicle ran all night and ran out of gas.

An autopsy showed Bright has carbon monoxide levels in her system at 65%. Levels about 30% can be fatal. Authorities did not find and carbon monoxide detectors in the home.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories