Police: Chesapeake man shot security guard at Norfolk Social Security building on Monday

National News

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Police say a Chesapeake man behind Monday’s shooting incident at a Social Security Administration building in Norfolk has life-threatening injuries, and the 52-year-old security guard who was shot is expected to be OK.

Police had not released a motive for the shooting as of Tuesday afternoon, but say 44-year-old William D. Rankin shot the security guard around 4 p.m. Monday at the building.

Authorities say the security guard — a retired New York City police officer, according to his family — returned fire after being shot.

Rankin and the guard were both found with multiple bullet wounds, police say. Rankin was taken to the hospital with life-threatening wounds, and the guard was taken to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. His injuries are not considered life-threatening, police said.

Rankin has been charged with malicious wounding, shooting in an occupied building, use of a firearm, and firearm by felon, and will be taken to Norfolk City Jail when he’s released from the hospital.

WAVY’s Chopper 10 responded to the area of 5850 Lake Herbert Drive on Monday and saw at least 20 police cars — including unmarked vehicles — on the entrance road and numerous officers around the building. Fire trucks and at least one ambulance were also at the scene. There were several officers armed with long guns and others in tactical gear seen leaving the building. The glass front doors of the building were shattered.

Around 5:15 p.m. Monday, a Norfolk Bomb Squad truck also arrived at the building.

On Tuesday afternoon, investigators were back on scene looking for evidence in the grass and bushes around the building.

Norfolk officers and “federal agencies” are investigating the shooting. Norfolk police didn’t specify which federal agencies were involved.

Lake Herbert Drive reopened around 10 p.m. though a few more police units remained at the building entrance.

On Tuesday, 10 On Your Side’s Andy Fox spoke with Rankin’s wife, who refused to give her name at their Chesapeake home.

“I haven’t seen him since yesterday. I don’t know what led to the shooting. Police were here and I am cooperating. I do not know if he had an issue with Social Security or what the motive may have been,” she said.

Public court records in Chesapeake show Rankin was previously convicted of threatening to bomb or burn and damaging property in 2017. He sentenced to 12 months on each count with 12 months suspended. He was sentenced to three years of supervised probation.

The family of the security guard told 10 On Your Side that he commuted to his job in Norfolk every day from North Carolina.

His daughter said Tuesday she had spoken with her father, who is in stable condition and is expected to be OK. She said he didn’t disclose anything else about what happened during the shooting.

Stay with WAVY.com for updates.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories