Man faces first degree murder charges after confessing to cold case


A Danville, Ind. man is now facing two counts of first-degree murder in connection with the death of 20-year-old Kaylyn Whitaker.  

Police say Connor Scott walked into the police station in Danville, Ind. on Sunday and confessed to the death of Kaylyn Whitaker. 

But now he’s in the Clark County, Ill. jail.  

“It’s a surprise that he just walked in and said he did it,” Illinois Appellate Prosecutor Ed Parkinson said. 

After Connor Scott confessed, he was arrested. 

He faces two first degree felony charges in his girlfriend Kaylyn Whitaker’s death. 

Back on Halloween 2014 Kaylyn Whitaker was found dead in Scott’s home in Martinsville, Ill. 

Initially, the death appeared to be a suicide but 10 months later, her death was ruled a homicide. 

Now, Scott will go before a judge on March 4 for a preliminary hearing. 

“We would appear for the state and put on some evidence to bind him for trial,” Parkinson said. “It will come out in a preliminary hearing whether current things were done, what interviews were taken.”  

Parkinson is one of the attorney’s on Kaylyn’s case.  

He says his team was just days away from filing first degree murder charges against Connor Scott when he confessed. 

He also said that Scott’s confession makes the state’s case stronger.  

Plus, he said, though it took four years to file charges, the time worked in their favor.  

“You know he walked in and confessed,” Parkinson said. “There was no statute of limitations, we could take as long as we wanted to, but it’s probably been very tough on the family of Kaylyn, but we wanted to be sure we got it right.” 

Kaylyn’s parents, Leslie Roberts and Dave Whitaker waited for years for charges. 

But they say the time was worth the wait. 

WTWO first reported on the case back in December.      

They are grateful that media coverage helped move the case forward. 

“I don’t think this would have happened if we wouldn’t have put something on tv,” Dave Whitaker said.   

It’s been emotional time for the family now they want to move forward and continuing the healing process. 

“We’ve been waiting a long time for this,” Leslie Roberts said. “We’ve not only had to grieve over the loss of Kaylyn we’ve had to fight, and I wasn’t going to give up. Finally, it’s happened. So, we are very grateful that now we have peace.” 

Even though they say it will be difficult, they plan to attend every court proceeding. 

If Scott is convicted, he could face a minimum of 45 years and a maximum of 60 years in prison.      

Parkinson also says that any sentence Scott receives would have to be served in its entirety. 

Scott is being held on $1 million bond. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories