WEST TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) — A fire at a home in West Terre Haute Monday afternoon is believed to be accidental, according to authorities.
Sugar Creek Fire Department PIO and investigator Josh Sittler said the fire was likely electrical.
One person was home when the fire began, according to Sittler. She was able to get out of the home and call 911. All family pets were also out of the home before fire crews arrived.
No one was injured.
The fire was mostly contained to the upstairs, but the rest of the house received smoke and water damage.
There was no working smoke detector in the home, according to Sittler. He noted this was the second fire he has investigated in the past few days where no smoke detector was found.
“Luckily, this one had a positive outcome,” he said of the fire.
The first fire he mentioned resulted in one fatality.
Sittler reminded the public of the importance of having a working smoke detector.