TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) – The Vigo Co. Sheriff’s Office held its 2nd annual Recognition Dinner on Wednesday evening at the Idle Creek Banquet Center.
The dinner is held each year to recognize members of the department who gave extraordinary service to the community in 2020 and 2021.
Vigo Co. Sheriff John Plasse provided the welcome and introduction to the event. He says it’s important to recognize those who do so much for the county.
“It’s a night for the deputies and co’s to be recognized for what they do. They do a tremendous job day in and day out and they don’t always get recognition for that,” Sheriff Plasse said.
Those who received awards are listed below:
- Retirees: Lt. Michael Anderson, Det. Paul Hartzler, Jail Officers Jo Ann Baker and Jim Lewzader
- Norman L. Lowery Award: Deputy Joe Kenworthy, presented by Sheriff John Plasse in recognition for his long-time financial support of law enforcement and first responders.
- 2020 and 2021 Sheriffs Valor Awards: Deputies Lt. Brent Hall, Sgt. Drew Stangle, Deputies Elias Donker, Dayton Huebner, David Ewing, Jon Silver, Derek Dehart, ISP Matt Ames, West Terre Haute Chief Bill Bark and West Terre Haute Sgt. Ryan Martin
- 2020 and 2021 Life Saving Awards: Lt. Brent Hall, Sgt. Khris Morris, Deputies Jeff Bell, Jon Silver, Matt Barts, Donald Lark and Charlie Cummins
- 2020 and 2021 Sheriffs Commendation Awards: Sgts. Ryan Hartleroad, Mike Ellsworth, Drew Stangle, and Khris Morris. Deputies Cogan McClain, Bernie McGee, Robert Decker, Zach Belfi, Chris Hawkins and John Davis.
Receiving awards for years of service:
- 25 years: Lt. John Moats
- 20 years: Captain Charley Funk, Det. Sgt. Jim Palmer, Deputy Jeff Bell, Correctional Officer Joanne Baker
- 15 years: Det. Larry Hopper
- 10 years: Det. Sgt. Jason Fischer, Sgt. Drew Stangle, Det. Kevin Murphy, Deputies Matt Barts and Tedi Funk, correctional officers Stephanie Edwardson, Jim Lewzader, and John Childs