FARMERSBURG, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) — The United Way of the Wabash Valley’s Strong Neighborhoods Council is awarding over $66,000 in funding to improve local neighborhoods.
The United Way says the projects chosen are intended to improve the look and feel of a neighborhood. That can be through things like addressing public safety, enhancing beautification, or blight elimination. Each project was granted between $1,600 to $5,000.
Here is a look at all 14 projects:
- 3 Sisters Investments – Light up Locust St. with The LAB – support of exterior lighting and
improvements to the LAB.
- 14th and Chestnut Community Center – Playground improvement – new mulch, fence, and
- Bloomingdale Friends Church – Disc Golf Course – supports the creation of a new 9-hole disc golf
- Chances and Services for Youth – Booker T. Washington Park Splash Pad – drainage
improvements to the existing splash pad.
- City of Sullivan Parks Department – Sullivan City Park Bandstand – renovations including new
picture windows and landscaping.
- Crossroads Disc Golf Club – Forest Park Disc Golf Course Renewal – support of the renovation of disc
golf course in Forest Park including new baskets and tee pads.
- Farrington’s Grove Historical District – Beautification days – support for the neighborhoods
established beautification day projects.
- Maryland Community Church – Hope Week Neighborhood Repairs – beautification and home
improvements to 6 elderly, disabled, or low-income homeowners.
- Poland Community Lions Club – Lions Park – supports park renovations including revitalizing the
basketball court, mulch, and playground improvements.
- Reach Services – Pathways Day Center – beautification and landscaping for the new Pathways
- Society of Trash Baggers – Love Where you Live – provides a lending library for reacher/grabber tools and gloves to support beautification efforts.
- Town of Mecca – Mecca Pride – Firehouse beautification with decals and flagpole replacement.
- Terre Haute Association of Realtors – Spencer Park Blacktop Camp – supports a one-week summer camp at Spencer Ball Park including family and tournament experiences.
- Youth Mentor Group of Vigo County YMCA – Fairbanks Park beautification project – murals, mulch, seating and more around the YMCA and park.
This Spring the Strong Neighborhood Council was blown away by the response from community organizations who were inspired by last year’s neighborhood investments and put the time and effort into thinking of ways to invest in their own neighborhoods. We received double the number of projects from the first round. Our volunteer project reviewers had a tough time but narrowed the applicants to 14 projects that best aligned with our goals to improve the safety, appeal, and feel of the community. These projects are aCarey LaBella, co-chair of the United Way’s Strong Neighborhood Council
great example of neighbors working together to elevate their communities.