INDIANAPOLIS (WTWO/WAWV) — Indiana Lt. Gov. Suzanne Crouch, in collaboration with the Indiana Family and Social Service Administration’s Division of Aging, announced Wednesday that three Wabash Valley residents were among the 21 senior citizens in the state to receive the 2021 Golden Hoosier Award.
“So many of our strong nonprofits rely on the generosity of volunteers, and we are fortunate to have great senior citizens who answer the call to give their time, lend a hand and make considerable contributions to their communities,” Crouch said. “These humble leaders make positive impacts on the lives of others and improve the overall wellbeing of our state. Thank you for your service and answering the call to give back.”
According to a news release, the award was first given out in 2008 with the intention of annually honoring Hoosier senior citizens for their years of service and commitment to the state. This year, Golden Hoosier Award recipients will be honored with a video ceremony that can be watched online.
Three of this year’s recipients were from the Wabash Valley area. Marlene Lu of Terre Haute, Ind. was chosen as one of the 2021 award recipients as well as Paul Sinders of Clay City, Ind. The third local recipient, Jean McMahan, is from Sullivan, Ind.
A full list of this year’s recipients can be found below.
- Jan Bronnenberg – Anderson;
- Edna Cox – Centerville;
- Jerry Decker – Coatesville;
- Mary Deering – Union Mills;
- Toni Dickover – Noblesville;
- Charlotte Hastings – Aurora;
- Art Hennig – Fishers;
- Julius Huffman – Lawrenceburg;
- Paul Hughes – Newburgh;
- Debbie Kluemper – Milroy;
- Stephen Kovecsi – Griffith;
- Pastor Robert A. Lee – Kokomo;
- Marlene Lu – Terre Haute;
- Jean McMahan – Sullivan;
- Linda Morris – Parker City;
- Robert Napier – Liberty;
- Ralph Richards – Fishers;
- William Rumbaugh – Morgantown;
- Paul Sinders – Clay City;
- Dave Withey – Indianapolis.
In addition to these recipients, Phyllis Menke of Huntingburg received the Indiana Golden Hoosier Humanitarian Award. This award is a special recognition of an individual who seeks to promote the welfare of others.