WASHINGTON, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) — Firefighters used a ladder to rescue two people from the second story of Reid’s Deli during a fire Thursday night.

According to Washington Fire Battalion Chief Dwayne Murphy, the call came in at approximately 11:35 p.m. of a fire 1211 S. Meridian Street in Washington. The building is the home of Reid’s Deli, but also has an apartment on the second floor.

Murphy said the first fire units were on scene within three minutes and noted heavy smoke coming from the backside of the building upon arrival. Additionally two adults were spotted throwing items out of the front upstairs window.

Crews set up a ground ladder to rescue the two occupants of the building, Murphy said neither were injured in the incident.

Crews remained on scene until 1:04 a.m.

Murphy said the apartment had heavy damage from the fire which began near a clothes dryer, with the business below suffering a lot of water damage