TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTWO/WAWVO) — Update: Due to a fire incident, this re-grand opening has been delayed. Click here for more details.
Original: The Walmart located on the south side of Terre Haute will be unveiling a number of upgrades following the completion of a recent “remodeling.”
The work is part of a nationwide effort by the company to upgrade numerous Walmart locations. The store, located at 5555 South U.S. 41, will also feature a mural by artist Kurtis Edwards featuring landmarks from the area.
“As a native Midwesterner, I know only desert skies rival ours,” says artist Kurtis Edwards who was inspired by Terre Haute’s skies. “Representing a proud basketball heritage within a landscape of cornfields and covered bridges was challenging but enjoyable.”
To mark the completion of the renovation the store will be hosting a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Friday at 8 a.m.
Mayor Duke Bennett and the North Central High School Choir will join the festivities.
As part of a news release, Walmart touts the following improvements to the local store;
- Optimized grocery department, including an expanded dairy department
- Front-end transformation with increased numbers of self-checkout lanes for customer convenience
- Expansion and relocation of Grocery Pickup and new Delivery service, adding 22 stalls for customer convenience
- New apparel displays and mannequins
- New and expanded merchandise such as Chaps and Air Walk for Men, Honest Baby in Infants, and Planet Gold and Aligned Together for Ladies
- New pharmacy with new private screening rooms for pharmacist consultations and services and privacy checkout lanes
- New Vision Center: Walmart created a Vision Center experience designed around the customer that is convenient, comfortable, and affordable that offers an assortment of quality eyeglasses and sunglasses with prescription lenses
- Enhanced Auto Care Center service area, including new shop equipment and digital pricing signs
- New Pet Department with added brands such as Jinx, I Love You
- Expanded pet department offerings with Fresh Pets dog food
- Added a new dollar shop at the store entrance with seasonally relevant products
- Improved the layout throughout the store to expand selection and streamline the customer shopping experience
- Added a new grab-and-go section in grocery area for quick meal and drink options for customers
- New, modernized restrooms
- Added mother’s room for a clean, comfortable, and private option for nursing mothers
- New signage
- Polished concrete flooring
- New vestibules at entrances with non-slip flooring
- New paint, inside and out
- Improvements to the parking lot will be made in 2024