VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) — A teenager charged in the shooting death of Chloe Carroll had their initial hearing in adult court Wednesday.

Montez Ellington Jr. faces charges of murder, attempted murder, and criminal recklessness.

It stems from the 2021 shooting death of Chloe Carroll. Carroll is the 15-year-old who was killed on July 23, 2021, when officers responded to a report of shots fired near 13th and Poplar streets. Police said Caroll had been among a group of teens and was in the back passenger seat of a vehicle parked at the Hoosier Pete Mini Mart when she was shot.

Last week a court ruled that Ellington, who was 15 at the time, can be tried as an adult.

In response to that ruling, Vigo County Prosecutor Terry Modesitt promised that charges would be filed.

“We appreciate the patience of the family and friends of Chloe Carroll and the community.  We understand this has been a time-consuming process,” said Modesitt. “But it has been necessary to meet all of the due process steps required under the law. The formal charges will be filed next week in Vigo Superior Court, Division 6.”

According to online court records his trial is scheduled for January 2023.