WEST TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) — One person was able to escape a house fire after an electrical issue caused a portion of their home to go up in flames.

According to Sugar Creek Fire Assistant Fire Chief Jared Dougherty, firefighters were dispatched to a residence located on West Woodland Drive in West Terre Haute at 2:49 p.m. Thursday. Smoke and flames were reportedly visible from the structure when firefighters arrived.

Image of burned house after fire in West Terre Haute. (WTWO)

Dougherty said one person was home when the fire began, but was able to escape the home safely. Once firefighters were on scene it took around 15-20 minutes to put the fire out.

When asked about the cause of the fire, Dougherty said it was due to an electrical issue. He said the fire caused extensive damage to the home.

In addition to Sugar Creek Fire, Honey Creek, and New Goshen Fire Departments assisted in the incident.