VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) — Vigo County prosecutors want the 16-year-old charged with the murder of Chloe Carroll to await trial in adult jail according to court documents.

In a motion filed in Vigo County Superior Court VI, prosecutor Rob Roberts argues that Montez Ellington Jr. should be moved to adult jail after reportedly being involved in numerous incidents and rule violations while being held at the Vigo County Juvenile Justice Center.

Roberts said that Ellington has been violent and aggressive toward other detainees and detention officers. Included in his motion was a letter from Vigo County Juvenile Justice Center Executive Director Norm Loudermilk. Ellington has been held in the juvenile center since July 23, 2021.

Prosecutors further argued that the Vigo County Jail may have space that would be suitable, but also mentioned housing in the Indiana Department of Corrections. However, the motion mentions that the IDOC Executive Director for Youth Services advised they ask local agencies to exhaust all other options before seeking placement with them. The defense objects to that notion saying Indiana law prohibits juveniles from being held in an adult facility that permits sight or sound contact with adult inmates.

Ellington’s lawyers argued against the motion. The defense also pointed to the prosecution not offering a specific adult facility for Ellington to be housed.

The State offers no suggestions as to facilities which would be more appropriate housing circumstances for Montez. Rather, the State recites that it has directed probation officer Michael Underwood to “inquire about placement in any lockdown facilities to explore whether there are any additional options [for appropriate housing]”.

Defendant’s Objection to Housing Defendant in an Adult Facility

The Defense said that Officer Underwood had testified previously that the State could not meet the treatment needs of Ellington.

A hearing regarding this matter was held in Vigo County Superior Court VI Wednesday, during which Judge Michael J. Lewis said he would take the arguments made under advisement and would make a ruling in two weeks.