Preparations for next year’s Covered Bridge Festival have begun

Local News

ROCKVILLE, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) – This year’s Covered Bridge Festival was one of the busiest in recent memory.

Parke County Commissioner Jim Meece said that a big crowd was expected as the festival was cancelled last year due to COVID-19 concerns. However, this year was unlike any other.

“I don’t think anybody anticipated this kind of uptick,” Meece said. “We’ve had traffic backed up more than a mile in all directions, so it’s been an incredible year.”

The big attendance caused big sales for vendors. Meece has attended every Covered Bridge Festival since its beginning, and his family sells sassafrass candy at the event. He said that he’s had record sales for his candy.

“We sold out of our product yesterday morning and we’ve never sold out until late in the day on Sunday,” Meece said.

Nathan Ingram sells handmade wooden crafts at the festival and he said his stock ended up being lower than originally planned.

“I’m getting low on stock on a lot of things so it’s been a great year,” Ingram said.

The Covered Bridge Festival is one of the biggest festivals in Indiana. This massive festival requires early preparation that Meece said already began for next year.

“Parke County Incorporated is passing out letters to all the vendors asking if they want to come back next year,” Meece said.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories