SHELBURN, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) — A structure fire Friday afternoon in Shelburn, Ind. resulted in the total loss of a home and the death of a family dog.

The Sullivan City Fire Department was on scene to put out the fire that started around 3:30 p.m. Friday on North Center Street.

It is believed by the department that an air purifier may have fallen over onto the ground of the home, overheated and caught fire. Sullivan Fire is considering the home a total loss.

No injuries were reported, although Fire Chief Rob Robertson said upon arrival, crews thought the homeowner’s grandson was still inside.

“Come to fine out the grandson was already outside, was walking around in the other areas,” Robertson said. “We had some pretty heavy black smoke coming out the back of the house. We were able to get in there and get it knocked down and get it put out pretty quick.”

Robertson said that while the family made it out safe, a pet dog died during the fire from smoke inhalation.