Indiana applies for additional unemployment benefits through federal program

Local News

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) – Wednesday, Governor Eric Holcomb announced Indiana applied for additional assistance for unemployed Hoosiers.

This comes after unemployment benefits through the CARES Act expired at the end of last month.

Earlier this month, President Trump issued an executive order to create the lost wages assistance program.

Through this program $44 billion dollars from FEMA will be used to boost unemployment benefits.

Wednesday, Governor Holcomb says Indiana has applied for some of these funds.

According to Holcomb, if the state is approved, eligible Hoosiers would receive an additional $300 dollars per week in unemployment benefits.

One of the requirements for eligibility is that you must be already be receiving or eligible for at least $100 dollars in state or federal assistance.

Holcomb says the payments will be retroactive to August 1st.

“It’s going to take a little bit of extra effort on our part in terms of moving staff, to build a new system, and that system requires us to look at some new infrastructure. So it will take between maybe 2 to maybe 4 weeks for us to get this in place,” said Fred Payne, commissioner of Indiana Department of Workforce Development

Payne says the program will continue until the $44 billion dollars runs out, other legislation is enacted, or if FEMA funding for disaster relief falls below $25 billion dollars.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories