SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WTWO/WAWV) — The Illinois Department of Transportation issued a warning regarding recent heavy rain in a news release Wednesday, urging the public to stay alert of potential flood water.
With more rain in the forecast for this week, IDOT is reminding Illinois residents that travel may be delayed by flooding and to plan accordingly. Additionally, IDOT wants to remind the public that flood water can be dangerous and deceptive.
“A few inches of water might seem harmless but can be powerful enough to carry away a person
or vehicle,” Illinois Transportation Secretary Omer Osman said in the release. “Do not attempt to drive
through flooded roads. Turn around, don’t drown.”
Along with this statement IDOT provided a list of proper precautions to take when dealing with flood water:
- Even if water covering a road seems shallow, do not cross it
- Do not attempt to push any vehicle out of the flood water
- If your vehicle stalls in flood water, seek higher ground
- Plan ahead for longer travel times and heavy traffic caused by floods
- Follow all posted detours on roadways
- Only take emergency trips when inclement weather is imminent
- Always keep a charged cell phone on you