CLAY COUNTY, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) — House fire in Clay County, IN is contained to one room with all occupants safe.

Units were dispatched to State Road 42 just after 1p.m. to reports of a residential structure fire. Assistant Deputy Chief Matthew Fearnow with the Poland Fire Department says they suspect a space heater got too close to another object or material which ignited the fire.

The fire started in a child’s bedroom but no one was in the house when the fire began.

“We are going to try and salvage as much of their belongings as we can,” Assistant Deputy Chief Fearnow said. “We were able to keep the fire to just one room. Overall it looks like we were able to salvage a lot of their contents.”

Other than the bedroom were the fire started, all other parts of the house were fine.

The Poland Fire Department responded along with mutual aid help from Van Buren Township, Brazil City, Jackson Township and Center Point Fire Departments.