Newport, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) — Dating back to 1909, the 55th annual Hill Climb will attract visitors to the small town of Newport in celebration of the automobile and the challenging climb of the famed ‘Newport Hill.’
The Newport Auto Antique Hill Climb is an international antique auto uphill timed event. Automobiles, trucks, and motorcycles from the steam, brass, vintage, antique, and classic car eras, make timed runs from a standing start, up a steep hill to a finish line 1,800 feet away.
The event is a fundraiser for the Newport Lions Clubs which has been hosting the climb since its return in 1968.
“This is our one big event. It’s our one big fundraiser to help support us (The Lions Club) through the whole rest of the year. It takes a lot of work from a lot of people and it’s a lot of people that have a lot of heart,” Erin Laney, Secretary of the Newport Lions Club said.
The fundraiser includes the raffling of an antique car.
“The raffle car that we have is a 1938 Plymouth. It’s a beautiful car, it’s actually a Hill Climb winner, so it has history here at the Hill Climb,” Laney said.
The car will be raffled off on Sunday, October 1 at the conclusion of the 55th Newport Antique Auto Hill Climb. Tickets are 6 for $5 or 25 for $20. You can purchase tickets at the Hill Climb event or visit their website by clicking here, for more details.
Organizers say the ‘Hill Climb’ always takes place on the first Sunday of October and the Friday and Saturday that falls before. The event kicks off Friday, September 29 at 6:00 PM with a cruise in. The fun continues from there.
NEWPORT HILL CLIMB EVENTS SCHEDULE:
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 29
- 6 PM: Cruise At The Bottom
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 30
- 7:30 AM | Hillacious 5K Run/Walk
- 7:30 AM Rookie Driver Meeting (STARTING LINE)
- ALL DAY | Flea Market
- 8 AM – 3 PM | Hill Climb Registration
- 8 AM – 12 PM | Show Car Registration
- 8 AM – 12 PM | Hill Climb Practice Runs
- 1 PM – 4:30 PM | Hill Climb Practice Runs
- 12 PM | Big Wheel Race (Boys & Girls Ages 3-8)
- 9 AM – 12 PM | Pretty Baby Contest Registration
- 2 PM |Pretty Baby Contest
- 5 PM | Fantastic Parade
- 6 PM | Collector Car Auction
- 7 PM | Cruise-In
- Dusk | Fireworks
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 1
- ALL DAY – Flea Market
- 8 – 10 AM | Show Car Registration (Poplar St. / Near Post Office
HILL CLIMB COMPETITION SCHEDULE:
- 7:30 AM | Rookie Driver Meeting (STARTING LINE)
- 8 – 10 AM | Competition Car Registration & Practice Runs
- 10:30 | Opening Ceremonies
- All runs after 11:00 a.m. will be timed
- Antique Hill Climb Race | 11:00
- 11:00 | Random classes until empty (will be timed)
- 11:30 | Model A’s (stage on Extension Street, refill to south crosswalk)
- 12:15 | Random Classes
- 1:00-1:30 | BREAK
- 1:30 | Model T’s, complete (w/random classes)
- 2:15 | Random Classes until empty
- 2:45 | Ford V-8’s complete (w/random classes)(stage on extension behind the Model A’s)
- 3:00 | Motorcycles, complete (with random classes) Stage In front of the community building Saturday & Sunday
- 3:30 | Modified Model T’s, complete (stage on Extension Street)
- 4:00 | Random Classes and Remaining Cars