EDWARDSPORT, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) — Update: A burning trash barrel left unattended led to a fire on the grounds of a nitrate facility in Edwardsport Thursday.

According to Vigo Township Fire Department Chief Andy Moreland, the call came in shortly after 10 a.m. of a fire at Hammelman Nitrate located on N. Freelandville Road. Moreland said he was the first to arrive on the scene and reported seeing large amounts of black smoke coming from two semi-trailers and a small shed on the property.

The trailers were located far enough away from the tanks holding flammable material, that Moreland said he wasn’t worried about it spreading and getting more dangerous.

Moreland said firefighters had the fire knocked down within an hour of arrival. The trailers were housing parts and equipment for the business.

When asked about the cause of the fire Moreland said someone had been burning trash in a barrel and the high winds caused the nearby trailers and shed to catch fire.

The National Weather Service has declared a Red Flag Warning for much of the Wabash Valley Thursday including Knox, Sullivan, Greene, Parke, Vigo, Clay, Martin, Owen, and Daviess Counties.

The warning states that any developing fires will likely spread quickly due to high winds, warm temperatures, and low humidity in the area.

The Red Flag Warning remains in effect from 11 a.m. until 8 p.m.

Five additional departments responded to the scene for assistance including, Edwardsport, Freelandville, Bicknel, Sanburn, and Vincennes Township.

Crews remained on scene for about three and a half hours, according to Moreland.

No injuries were reported as a result of this incident.

Original: Firefighters have responded to a business on N. Freelandville Road in Edwardsport.

Officials with the Knox County Sheriff’s Office have confirmed that a fire is in progress at an address that shows as being the location of Hammelman Nitrate Inc. Multiple fire departments responded to the scene.