VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) — A judge has ruled the juvenile charged with murder in the case surrounding the death of Chloe Carroll can be tried in adult court.

In an order granting Waiver of Juvenile Court Jurisdiction, a Vigo County Juvenile Magistrate found that the state had proven the required elements to move the case into adult court.

Chloe Carroll is the 15-year-old who was killed on July 23, 2021, when officers responded to a report of shots fired near 13th and Poplar streets. Police said Caroll had been among a group of teens and was in the back passenger seat of a vehicle parked at the Hoosier Pete Mini Mart when she was shot.

The Magistrate waived the juvenile court’s jurisdiction over the case.

The State having met its burden on all five (5) elements as required by LC. 31—30-3—2, the Court waives Montez Ellington, Jr. to stand trial as an adult on the Murder, Attempted Murder, Criminal Recklessness, and all included offenses.

lt is further ordered and adjudged that said juvenile is remanded to the custody of the Sheriff of Vigo County, Indiana to be held under this order, without bail or recognizance, unless sooner released under such recognizance bond or in an amount as may be hereinafter set by order of the court to which said juvenile is waived.

Vigo County Circuit Court Juvenile Magistrate Dan Kelly

In response to this ruling, the Vigo County Prosecutor said the formal charges in adult court will be coming soon.

“We appreciate the patience of the family and friends of Chloe Carroll and the community.  We understand this has been a time-consuming process,” said Vigo County Prosecutor Terry Modesitt. “But it has been necessary to meet all of the due process steps required under the law. The formal charges will be filed next week in Vigo Superior Court, Division 6.”