Counsel believes Meehan could participate in video hearing next week

Local News

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) – The man charged in the fatal shooting of Terre Haute Police Detective Greg Ferency could be able to participate in an initial court hearing by video next week. That’s according to the latest status report filed by Shane Meehan’s defense counsel.

Meehan was transferred from a hospital to a jail last week. Court documents do not say which jail he is being held at, but Friday’s status report says the jail has video teleconference capability.

Meehan’s counsel said in a status report Friday that his physical condition is improving but that he is experiencing memory loss. His counsel says if his condition continues to improve at the same rate, he could be able to fully participate in an in-person court hearing the week of August 2.

Meehan is facing a charge of pre-meditated murder of a federal officer, accused of shooting and killing Ferency outside an FBI Field Office in Terre Haute. Authorities said Meehan drove himself to the hospital after being shot twice during an exchange of gunfire.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories