CHARLESTON, Ill. (WTWO/WAWV) – The Charleston Fire Department worked to put out a structure fire Saturday afternoon that started in a burn pit.

According to a release from Fire Chief Steve Bennett, crews were dispatched to the 800 block of 1st Street in Charleston at 3:30 p.m.

Bennett said when they arrived, they saw smoke coming from a garage that was attached to a two-story home.

The fire started as a controlled burn in a burn pit, but the wind blew debris onto some leaves.

The leaves along the fence caught fire and traveled to the garage and ended up working their way to the inside of the home.

Crews were on scene until around 4:40 pm.

Bennett said residents were home at the time but were able to escape.

The backroom addition of the home and the garage suffered fire and water damage.

The fire was ruled accidental.