CHARLESTON, Ill. (WTWO/WAWV) – The Charleston Fire Department responded to a garage fire that spread to a two-story apartment this morning.

Crews responded to 608 N 5th Street in Charleston to calls of a garage fire. Officials said that the garage was attached to a two-story home. The fire would spread to the two-story structure.

Officials confirmed that five residents were at home at the time of the fire, and all residents were able to escape.

One cat died in the fire.

Two residents were treated for on scene for smoke inhalation. All five residents are displaced due to the extent of the damage.

Officials said the fire is currently under investigation.