PARIS, Ill. (WTWO/WAWV) – UPDATE: On Thursday the Edgar County Coroners Office released new information on the early morning apartment fire that happened Oct. 1 in which two Paris residents were discovered dead.

According to Edgar County Coroner Scott Barrett, the cause of death for one of the residents, Tammi Keefer, 52, was due to smoke inhalation. Her manner of death was ruled accidental.

Toxicology results showed the second resident, Bobby Turner, 72, died from natural causes before the start of the fire.

Investigators determined the fire started near a wall of the first-floor apartment Turner was living in. They believe the probable cause of the fire was smoking materials.


ORIGINAL: According to Edgar County Coroner, Scott Barrett, two Paris residents are dead after an early morning apartment fire on Saturday.

Edgar County Dispatch received a call at 6:07 a.m. from a resident saying her apartment was on fire and she was unable to get out of her second-floor unit. The apartment complex has four units and is located at 501 South Central Street.

Upon arrival, first responders found the structure completely engulfed. Occupants of the apartment building were able to get out and told first responders two tenants were unaccounted for.

Firefighters found the body of 52-year-old Tammi Keefer in her upstairs apartment, it was later determined she was made the original 911 call. Afterward, the body of Bobby J. Turner, a 72-year-old, was found in his downstairs apartment unit.

Barrett pronounced both dead at the scene.

Two tenants were sent to nearby hospitals and both are expected to be released.

Autopsies will be conducted Monday morning in Champaign, Illinois, by Forensic Pathologist Dr. Shiping Bao. The incident remains under investigation by the Illinois State Fire Marshall, Paris Fire Department, Paris Police Department, and the Edgar Count