Honey Creek Fire Department advocates for home heating safety

News

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) – This evening’s blast of winter weather will usher in much colder temperatures in the coming days.

As you brace for the weather, fire departments brace for a number of calls that could be avoided.

It’s something fire crews see every year. Folks warming their homes through alternative methods other than a regular furnace.

One that could negatively impact your home is having too many space heaters going at once.

Some heaters are fueled with kerosene in which officials advise fueling your heater outside before bringing it into your home.

“Use proper heating techniques, make sure your chimney has been cleaned out properly, you have clothes and things away from space heaters and things like that, make sure your smoke detector has been checked, make sure your CO detectors have also been checked and have a good battery in them,” Josh Sittler with the Honey Creek Fire Dept. said.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories