Fire at Fowler Park’s Pioneer Village

News

A blaze destroyed one of the cabins in the Pioneer Village at Fowler Park.

Around noon on Friday, the Honey Creek and Linton Township Fire Departments were dispatched to Fowler Park, on the call that a building was on fire.

Upon arrival, firefighters on the scene said the cabin was fully engulfed in flames. They did put the fire out quickly, so no other buildings were harmed.

Firefighters on the scene told WTWO News the fireplace had been used to bake cookies during the field trip. Park officials tell us that there were no cookies being baked at the time of the fire, but that the fireplace was on.

“Just some ashes probably or coals probably blew off into the structure itself and that’s how the fire started and there’s no intentional purposes here. It was all accidental,” says Josh Sittler with the Honey Creek Fire Department.

The cabin is a total loss. No one was hurt.

The park was hosting second graders from the Vigo County School Corporation, but the children are safe. The students were not near the cabin when the fire started.

Officials immediately took the students back to their buses and sent them back to school.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories