TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) – Fallen Terre Haute Police Officer Rob Pitts will be remembered by family and friends during a special statewide bicycle tour.
The 18th annual Cops Cycling for Survivors bicycle ride around Indiana will begin July 8. It is expected to last 13 days and cover nearly 1,000 miles.
A departure ceremony will be held at 8:30 a.m. Monday, July 8 at the Law Enforcement and Fire Fighters Memorial on the capital grounds in downtown Indianapolis.
The cyclists will depart shortly after comments by Amy Elson, survivor of fallen Indiana State Police Trooper Cory Elson.
Later in the ride, cyclists will stop in Terre Haute to visit with the survivors left behind when Officer Pitts was killed in the line of duty in 2018.
The Cops Cycling for Survivors Foundation, Inc. annual bike ride will consist of active and retired police officers, law enforcement survivors, law enforcement family members and friends of law enforcement riding their bicycles around the perimeter of Indiana to raise funds and awareness of the sacrifices made by Hoosier law enforcement families across Indiana.
Funds raised from this event will be used to perpetuate the memories of officers killed in the line-of-duty and to aid surviving family members and co-workers of officers killed in the line-of-duty.
Previously raised funds have been directly donated to foundations, scholarships and camps started in memory of fallen officers or by Indiana survivors in honor of their fallen heroes and to provide immediate financial assistance following a line of duty death.
The general route of the ride is as follows:
• Day 1- July 8th Indianapolis to Lapel (Lunch Boone County)
• Day 2- July 9th Lapel to Bluffton (Lunch Taylor University)
• Day 3- July 10th Bluffton to Angola (Lunch Fort Wayne)
• Day 4- July 11th Angola to South Bend/Mishawaka (Lunch Middlebury)
• Day 5- July 12th South Bend/Mishawaka to Merrillville (Lunch La Porte)
• Day 6- July 13th Merrillville to Kentland (Lunch Lowell)
Day 7- July 14th Kentland to Terre Haute (Lunch Cayuga)
• Day 8- July 15th Terre Haute to Princeton (Lunch Wabash Valley Correctional Facility Sullivan)
• Day 9- July 16th Princeton to Huntingburg (Lunch Jasper)
• Day 10- July 17th Jasper to Jeffersonville (Lunch Marengo)
• Day 11- July 18th Jeffersonville to Madison (Lunch Madison)
• Day 12- July 19th Madison to Bloomington (Lunch Brownstown)
• Day 13- July 20th Bloomington to Indianapolis (Lunch Mooresville)
To track the ride’s progress, stops, and activities, follow them on the Cops
Cycling for Survivors Foundation Facebook page.
For more information about the organization, donations made or this year’s ride, visit their website, or contact Monica Zahasky, President of Cops Cycling for Survivors Foundation, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org.