As the slower, bigger machines hit the pavement this Harvest Season, Illiana Truck Parts want to remind motorists to take extra precaution to keep everyone safe on the road.
Here are some tips to help share the road safely:
- Most farmers will pull over when they are able to let you pass, but it may take time for them to get to a safe place to do so. Be careful and patient when passing.
- Allow plenty of time to get to your destination, be aware of alternate routes and avoid distractions.
- Do not pass within 100 feet of any intersection, railroad grade crossing, bridge, elevation structure, or tunnel.
- Farm equipment is wide, sometimes taking up most of the roadway. Exercise caution when passing.
- Do not tailgate farm vehicles, as they might have to make sudden stops along the road.
- Do not try to pass a slow-moving vehicle on the left without ensuring that the vehicle is not planning a left turn. It may appear that the driver is pulling over for you to pass when it is actually preparing to turn. You will drive right into its path, endangering yourself and the farmer.
Farmer Safety Tips, Brought to you by Illiana Truck Parts.