FARMERSBURG, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV) — Just in time for Thanksgiving meal preparations, here are two of the morning show crew’s favorite side dishes for the foodie holiday.
- 2 packages (16oz each) frozen corn
- 1 (8oz) cream cheese block, softened and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Black pepper to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- In crockpot slow cooker, combine corn, creams cheese, onion, pepper and garlic powder then cover
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours and mix occasionally
Sweet potato casserole (with a twist!):
Ingredients for filling:
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 to 4 large sweet potatoes (about 1 3/4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- BONUS INGREDIENT: blueberries! Add anywhere from 1/2 pint to 2 pints depending on how many you’d like per bite!
Ingredients for topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 stick-1 stick (4-8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted (it clumps better with 1 whole stick melted)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Peel 3-4 large sweet potatoes, then cube the potatoes and add to large pot of salted water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are very tender, around 15-20 minutes.
- Drain and cool.
- Mash the sweet potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Whisk together the butter, mashed sweet potatoes, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, salt and eggs in a large bowl. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, butter and salt in a medium bowl until moist and the mixture clumps together.
- Stir in the pecans (this helps to make the consistency the best if you do this last)
- Spread the mixture over the top of the sweet potatoes in an even layer. Bake until mostly set in the center and golden on top, about 30 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy!
Happy Thanksgiving from the WTWO family to yours!