70°F
Sponsored by

Neighbors Rescue Elderly Woman from Burning Apartment

An apartment near downtown Terre Haute caught fire Friday morning. Neighbors noticed smoke coming from the door and went in to save her.
An elderly woman pulled from her burning apartment Friday is being transported to Wishard Hospital in Indianapolis.

It happened on S. 4th and Swan Streets near downtown Terre Haute.

Neighbors noticed smoke coming from the apartment when they went in to save the woman.

"I went over there. She's in the back. Her mattress is in front of her," said James Whitsit who helped pull the woman from her apartment. "She couldn't get past the mattress. This side is on fire, that side is on fire. Smoke is just over taking us. I'm distraught, so I thought get a blanket. I went to get a blanket to put on her. Guy said grab a fire extinguisher and he grabbed it and put it out."

Terre Haute Fire Department officials are still investigating the incident. They do not believe foul play is involved.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus
bridalguide.png

skywatch.png

textalerts.png

GDL_2.png

valleyexperts.png

calendar.png

socialmedia.png

wvhomes1.png

wvjobs1.png