TERRE HAUTE, IN - The Vigo County Sheriff's Office released the name of the victim in their investigation into a homicide shooting.
Seventeen year old Garret Sands of Terre Haute was killed just after 1:30 Wednesday morning.
The suspect, 19 year old Nathan Derickson is charged with reckless homicide. Witnesses say the shooting took place a house party in an Idle Creek neighborhood. Minors were consuming alcohol and a firearm was brought out. Those at the party told police they thought the gun was unloaded, but Derickson shot Sands, who died from his injuries.
Derickson will appear in Vigo County court at 11 a.m. Thursday.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Golfing 'Fore' a Good Cause
- Vigo County School Summer Meals
- Indiana lawmakers hear from upset parents on kindergarten law
- Social Media Post Generates Disapproval