One Dead, One Behind Bars after Early Morning Homicide

Terre Haute, IN - Police have one man behind bars after an early morning homicide.

At approximately 1:35 Sunday morning, Terre Haute Police responded to the Dew Drop Inn, regarding reports of shots being fired and a stabbing.

Dew Drop Inn is located at 1805 N 19th Street.

Just minutes after the call went out, officers stopped a suspicious car at 19th and 8th Avenue.

According to the press release, once back up was called, officers found a man was bleeding in the parking lot just outside Dew Drop Inn from apparent stab wounds.

Some of the video in this story is graphic, and may not be suitable for everyone to see

"It's scary," says Dew Drop Inn employee, Jennifer Ellinger. "It's scary to work out here. Or to work, you know, around this."

The bar is open but empty at noon on Sunday.

A reminder of what took place less than twelve hours earlier can still be seen.

"All I heard was gun shots," says the next door neighbor. "That's it."

"It's just a bad place," says Deborah Dunkley, from down the street.  

Officials say the preliminary investigation indicates the incident escalated from a verbal argument.

Police have identified the victim as 52-year-old Carlos Vinson, and the suspect as 42-year-old Eddie Jermaine Stewart.

Jennifer Ellinger says they've seen trouble for years off and on.

That it mostly depends on their clientele for that night.

"You know, we have trouble," says Ellinger. "There's fights. But as far as this? No. I haven't seen this. I've heard them names but I couldn't tell you their faces."

And neighbors agree that this corner of town isn't always the safest place to be.

"Well, it don't surprise me," says Dunkley. "I mean, it just you know, I hope it don't happen to often but... it don't surprise me."

"That's this place man," says the next door neighbor. "I don't know what else to tell you."

"People will be scared to come out," says Ellinger. "Probably afraid they're going to get in trouble or whatever."

Terre Haute Fire Department personnel transported Vinson to Union Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Those in the community tell me they hope this kind of behavior doesn't continue.

This is an ongoing investigation.

And we'll continue to follow this story as it develops.

Stewart is being held at the Vigo County Jail on a preliminary charge of murder.

No bond has been set.

Video Center

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Latest News