Ingredients : (for two half pans)
6 lbs of lean ground round
(2 packs of 3 lbs)
3 lbs of ground chuck
(2 packs of 1 1/2 lbs)
6 big sweet yellow onions
16 oz pine nuts
Salt, Pepper, Cinnamon
1 lb butter
Small bottle of olive oil
Chop two sweet onions
Melt one stick of butter in skillet.
Place the pine nuts & Chopped onions in the skillet and brown. Add ground chuck. Season with salt & pepper and a little cinnamon. Keep chopping the meat with a wooden spoon. Cook on medium heat.
While that is cooking,
1. Soak 3 cups of bulgar wheat.
2. Clean & mince 2 onions with a food processor.
3. Mix 3 lbs of Gr Round with the onions & wheat. Mix well by kneading.
4. Add salt, pepper, & cinnamon.
5. Divide meat mixture into two halves.
6. In a half size chaffing dish, grease the pan with a little shortening and olive oil.
7. Place half the uncooked meat mixture layered in the bottom of the pan,
8. Layer the cooked filling.
9. Layer the remaining raw mixture.
10. Use ice cold water to smooth out the meat.
11. Cut the layers in half, longways in the pan.
12. Cut the halves in three (3) sections each.
13. Diagonally cut the meat about every 1". You should have diamond shaped pieces.
14. Pour melted butter or olive oil in the cuts.
15. Bake uncovered for about an hour on 350*.